5 Grocery List Essentials for Plant-based Eaters
Our health, the planet and our animals win by making a choice to eat mostly plant based items. As always, variety is key to obtaining and utilizing essential nutrients although these 5 grocery items top the staples list to get you on your way to healthy, plant-based food choices!
- Green drink - aka superfood! We all know to eat more fruits and vegetables for optimal health and vibrancy. Blast your cells with vitamins and nutrients that give you more energy. A quality, green superfood powder mixed with organic, unfiltered apple juice is a great, quick way to start your day. Also, experiment with the many smoothie recipes where you can incorporate 1-2 T of green superfood per directions of manufacturer. There are many choices so always opt for the highest organic quality available. https://www.herbdoc.com/superfood-plus#ISF
- Chia, hemp and flax seeds - These tiny seeds pack a mighty punch! They contain omega-3 fatty acids that have been shown to cut “bad” cholesterol, reduce plaque build-up, triglycerides and blood pressure. All of this helps to make a happy heart and are also great sources of fiber and plant protein. Easily add to your morning smoothies and/or shakes or add almond, peanut or other nut butter to a piece of toast and sprinkle your choice on top as a nutritional addition.
- Quinoa - Quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat. It is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids. Quinoa also happens to be very high in antioxidants that neutralize free radicals and are believed to help fight aging and many diseases. Additionally, it is also naturally gluten-free.
- Beans/lentils - 1/2 cup provides as much protein as an ounce of meat without the fat and cholesterol. Super healthy, super versatile and super affordable while being high in antioxidants, fiber, protein, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper and zinc. Try using them to make lentil sloppy joes, black bean veggie burgers, healthy soups, etc. Try this recipe along with others: http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/vegan-sloppy-joes/
- Nuts - Crack open all the health benefits of your favorite nuts! Just a few of the stars are almonds, walnuts, cashew, macadamia and Brazil nuts. They are easy to transport for an on-the-go busy schedule They are also protein-packed and high in omega-3 fatty acids to help your heart. The fiber-richness of nuts can help lower your cholesterol and the vitamin E can help with plaque development in arteries.
Star of the Show: Brazil nut
*High in selenium - One nut contains 90 micrograms with is 129% of daily recommended value.
*Good for digestion, acne, weight loss, healthy skin, immune system, thyroid gland, prevents atherosclerosis which is the build up of fats, cholesterol and other substances in and on the artery wall.
*Prevents heart attacks, constipation, bloating and colon cancer
*Helps cell growth, repair and wound healing
*High in B-complex vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, niacin, folate and pyridoxine. It contains minerals like manganese, selenium, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus and zinc. The nuts contain almost 8 grams of Vitamin E per 100 grams serving.
Head to your local health food store and check out the bulk bins. Grab all your favorite nuts and be adventurous by trying some new ones. Mix and add some coconut, dried berries and maybe even organic dark chocolate chips to create your own trail mix. Keep in your purse or car to always have a healthy and nutritious snack at your fingertips!